Apple iPod 80 GB (5.5 Generation)
- Bright screen
- Excellent interface
- Seamless integration with iTunes
- You can transfer purchased music from iPod back to PCs
- Very good sound quality
- Long video battery life
- Supports lossless and Audible formats, as well as gapless playback
- Supports fun games
- Audio battery life could be longer
- FM tuner and recording capabilities require optional accessories
- Video-format support could be broader
The latest version of the iPod has a few enhancements, including longer video battery life, support for some cool games, a brighter screen, a search feature, and larger capacity (up to 80GB). And the price drop is nice too.
- Huge storage (who really has 40,000 songs?)
- Good value
- Anodised aluminium front feels like quality
- Video and photos are bright and clear
- Interface looks even slicker than ever ...
- ... but marred by hard disk lag issues
- Sound quality still, at best, mediocre
- Cover Flow a case of form over function
- New accessories required for video out
The name suggests more of the same but with more space and better value. Hard disk lag issues, video out controversy and just okay sound stop it from being a true classic though.
Editor's Note: Our original review (09/22/06) has been updated with the results of our audio and video battery rundown tests.The latest full-size iPod can be considered generation 5.5, since the interface and design improvements aren't nearly as drastic a