- The Spirit One headphone from Focal is a good first step for the storied loudspeaker manufacturer, blending both build quality and looks with above-average sound.
- The look of the Spirit One is more mature than that of, say, Beats by Dre, though it's not quite as refined as Bowers & Wilkins' offerings, making it somewhat ideal for the late 20s to early 30s professional on the go.
- When used in conjunction with an iPhone or iDevice, the Spirit One's versatility is first-rate.
- In terms of sound quality, the Spirit One isn't class-leading, but it's very good, giving up a bit of low-end presence in the pursuit of an uncolored midrange and sparkling highs.
- The Spirit One is very efficient, which makes it possible to drive it to reference levels without the need for outboard amplification.
- The Spirit One's fit is snug, to say the least, something that can become tiresome after short periods of time.
- In an attempt to loosen the Spirit One's grip on my skull, I took to flexing the band over and over, which revealed squeaks and creaks in the headband that may or may not be an indicator of the Spirit One's long-term reliability and build quality.
I'm a huge Focal fanand have been for some time, so I was excited to get the opportunity to listen to the company's first-ever headphone design. At $279 retail, I was surprised that, for a brand so well known in the high-end space, that Focal's first headphone, the Spirit One, was relatively inexpensive when compared to a lot of its competition. That said, the Spirit One's somewhat fatiguing fit and lighter bass kept it from being my overall headphone of choice, though there is much to like about its performance when discussing its midrange and high-frequency presentation. For iPhone or iDevice users, the Spirit One brings an extra level of functionality to the party with its superb volume and phone integration controls. Overall, I found the Spirit One to be a solid first effort from the famed French loudspeaker manufacturer, and knowing Focal the way that I do, I'm confident future endeavors will be even better.